When it comes to buying, selling, or leasing commercial real estate it is valued and traded by it’s floor area. Solid Tech understands that when you do your due diligence to get an independent expert measurement; you need someone who is experienced and professionally reputable. After all if their expertise can be easily called into question, then what is their measurement really worth?
That is why Solid Tech LLC is proud to offer expert commercial building area measurement services and tenant area calculations directly overseen by an active member of the BOMA international Floor Measurement Standards Committee and a licensed architect.
While we are happy to be your BOMA building area measurement experts, If you are trying to tackle it yourself, here are some places to get information.
Here are some basic questions that can help you determine what standard to use, if you are unsure:
If you know what standard to use, you need to get a copy and read it. There is absolutely no way to successfully apply the standard without reading it. It isn’t expensive and you can usually buy and download it the same day:
If you still have questions, try reading these:
- ANSWERS TO 26 KEY QUESTIONS ABOUT THE BOMA STANDARD METHOD OF MEASURING FLOOR AREA IN OFFICE BUILDINGS (This pertains to the 1996 Office Standard, BOMA is currently working on a like guide for the 2010 standards)
There are also other area measurement standards:
- ASTM E1836 / E1836M – 09e1 Standard Practice for Building Floor Area Measurements for Facility Management published by The International Facility Managers Association
- REBNEY is published by the Real Estate Board of New York.
- The Greater Washington Commercial Association of Realtors published the Standard Method of Measurement© / A Formula for Calculating Rentable Office and Retail Space but it is only available in print by calling the publisher at 301.590.2000
- IPMS is an international standardization that is expected to be finalized in 2014. It is a collaborative effort of twenty professional organisations from around the world.